The Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is a national-level entrance test for admissions to twenty-two National Law Universities (NLUs) across India. Get free CLAT 2022 preparation tips. Know about CLAT 2022 syllabus, exam dates, and everything you need to know about this prestigious test.
The upcoming Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is scheduled to be conducted on 8th May 2022. CLAT is an offline exam and is generally considered a moderate difficulty level exam. In this article, we will give you some CLAT 2022 preparation tips, including a basic overview of the national-level entrance test. We hope this article will definitely assist you in securing your position in National Law Universities (NLUs) and top law schools in India. Knowing the right approach for the preparation for CLAT is very important in order to clear the exam.
CLAT 2022 Updated Exam Pattern
The exam pattern for CLAT Consortium was changed in 2022. Thus, before starting CLAT 2022 preparation, we would like to share an updated pattern with you:
- The exam will be conducted offline
- The duration of the exam is 120 minutes
- The exam is conducted in the afternoon from 3 to 5
- The question paper has a set of 150 multiple choice questions weighing 1 mark each
- 0.25-mark negative marking also exists for every wrong answer
CLAT Syllabus 2022
For CLAT 2022 preparation, the most important thing you should know is the syllabus of the exam. Let’s find out about the CLAT exam 2022 syllabus that is broadly divided into 5 subjects:
- English Language (28-32 questions): It includes Grammar, Vocabulary, Adverbs and proverbs, Synonyms, and English Comprehension.
- Current Affairs and General Knowledge (35-39 questions): There are no boundaries to this subject staying updating with the latest news is important. Also question on contemporary events of significance from India and the world and on historical events are common.
- Quantitative Techniques (13-17 questions): This covers the quick revision of mathematics that you must have learned till your high school exams. It includes algebra, number systems, average work and time questions, probability, statistics, etc.
- Logical Reasoning (28-32 questions): Many students take this section lightly during their CLAT 2022 preparation, which is absolutely not a good idea. For logical reasoning, you need to practice analogies, blood relations, logical matchings, series, etc.
- Legal Reasoning (35-39 questions): This section consists of the studies of the Indian Constitution, important acts and amendments, important laws like IPS, the law of torts, etc., rights and duties, and important events related to legal and constitutional developments, etc.
Recommended Books for CLAT 2022 Preparation
Section-wise recommended books for CLAT 2022 examination
1. English Language
- English is Easy by Chetan Anand Singh
- Objective General English by RS Aggarwal
- Barron’s Pocket Guide to Vocabulary
2. Legal Reasoning
- Universal’s CLAT Guide
- Legal Awareness and Legal Aptitude by AP
- Quantitative Aptitude by RS Aggarwal
- Class 10th NCERT Textbook
4. Logical Reasoning
- Verbal and Non=Verbal Reasoning by RS Aggarwal
- Analytical Reasoning by MK Pandey
5. General Knowledge & Current Affairs
- Personal General Knowledge Manual
- Manorama Year Book
- Competition Success Review
Understanding the subject-wise weightage is one of the vital parts of CLAT 2022 preparation. It has been widely observed that aspirants spend a disproportionate amount of time on Logical Reasoning and Logical Reasoning. Although understanding and learning the same is important it must not be at the cost of totally ignoring other subjects. You should be wise and intelligent both at the same time.
Q. Do you really need a coaching institute for CLAT 2022 preparation?
We leave the concreate answer for this to you but would like to share some facts here. From CLAT’s previous year’s results, we can observe self-study played a vital role in candidates’ success. Many candidates cleared the CLAT exam without any coaching and yet scored top ranks. Some great CLAT 2022 exam preparation tips we have shared later in this article but before that, you must also know coaching institutes provide no guarantee for selection. They will definitely promote themselves aggressively and claim to prepare toppers but are not accountable for any failures.
You may find the same topper candidate to be claimed by more than one institute. Further discussion on the same is beyond the scope of this article as our idea is to assist you in CLAT exam preparation.
CLAT 2022 Preparation Tips
Here is the list of some structured tips to prepare for the CLAT 2022 exam:
- Understand the syllabus – Most of it we have already covered above. In nutshell, before picking your first book to prepare for the CLAT exam, make a roadmap to your preparation by understanding the syllabus and your strengths in the topics.
- Understand the concept of negative marking – Guesswork is not always a great idea in the CLAT exam. Make guesses only when you can confidently eliminate at least 2 of the available choices in questions. For some questions, the choice of not attempting may prove better than the guesswork. You can leave this guesswork for the end while appearing for an exam.
- Prioritize the sections while attempting – To save time and boost your confidence, we will recommend you to attempt a section of your core strength first. This strategy will save your time and give you a sense of comfort.
- Start your CLAT 2022 preparation early – Focus on small daily wins rather than targeting to finish everything in the last few days. Plan to dedicate 4-5 hours per day once you are ready with the basic understanding of the syllabus. This trick for CLAT preparation works will all as you don’t feel overwhelmed and are able to finish the task at hand.
- Practice mock tests and sample papers – This trick does wonder for MCQ-type exams. Find and attempt as many sample papers and mock tests as you can. The reverse strategy of knowing the type of questions first and then studying their answers will make you think more and help you understand the concepts better. You can expect some questions to repeat in CLAT 2022 exam from the past exam papers, sample papers, and mock tests. In our defense, we would like to advise not to expect the same question but almost similar questions.
- Do regular revision – Considering the scope of the syllabus, regular revision is important to retain what you have learned. Making some notes and jotting down bullet points is always a great idea for CLAT exam preparation.
- Stay healthy and fit – It may sound a little off-topic advice to clear CLAT 2022 exam but a healthy body and sound mind are important to ride up your learning graph. Do exercise regularly, keep yourself hydrated, and take regular breaks between your preparation for the CLAT 2022 preparation.
With the right strategy and preparedness, it is possible to crack CLAT 2022 exam for any student. As discussed in the beginning, although the exam level is a moderate but structured road map to study can make things easy for you.