The Post Basic BSc nursing degree is among the most noble and compelling degrees one can take up. The medical field has a lot of options than being just a doctor, and this degree opens up that pathway for you.
Applying for the course for post basic Bsc nursing is not enough, and you have to pay more attention to selecting the right college that fosters your learning process. Are there any opportunities after you are done with the course? Yes, there are plenty of options to try out. However, we would like to give you a better understanding before you venture into this world of nursing.
This comprehensive program equips students with the necessary knowledge, skills, and practical experience to become competent nursing professionals, providing healthcare and support to individuals across the lifespan. This article will explore the eligibility criteria, fees, admission process, syllabus, and job opportunities associated with post basic Bsc Nursing. It is essential to build your skills in the field of nursing so that you can provide the clients with what they need. Skills and empathy are critical to making oneself an established nursing professional.
Post Basic Bsc Nursing Eligibility
To pursue post basic BSc nursing, aspiring students need to fulfil specific eligibility criteria. Typically, candidates should have completed their 10+2 education or its equivalent from a recognized educational board with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English as compulsory subjects. Most institutions require a minimum aggregate score of 50% in the qualifying examination, though the percentage may vary among colleges and universities.
Additionally, there is generally an age limit of 17 to 35 years, with specific age relaxation criteria for reserved category candidates. The eligibility criteria are often not standardized and tend to change from one institution to another. Based on the institution you want to apply for, you can give it a check about their needs. Some colleges even arrange for an entrance examination, and you must crack the same to seek admission based on merit.
Post Basic Bsc Nursing Fees Structure
The fees for applying for and studying for the post basic Bsc nursing are not fixed and depend on one institution. If you are planning to look at a government college, it will cost you less. On the other hand, if you want to learn at a private college, you have to pay more. Usually, there are all your associated costs, and some students prefer taking coaching before appearing for the entrance examinations—the fee structure for post basic BSc Nursing programs can vary across different institutions and states.
Public or government colleges usually have lower fees compared to private institutions. The fee structure may depend on factors such as the institution’s reputation, infrastructure, faculty, and facilities provided. On average, the fees for a post basic Bsc Nursing programs can range from INR 50,000 to INR 2,00,000 per year. It is essential to research and consider the fee structure of different colleges while making your decision.
Post Basic Bsc Nursing Admission Process
The admission procedure is also relatively transient for post basic Bsc nursing, and it depends from one institution to the other and what are the norms that are set. However, there is usually a standardized procedure that most institutions follow following parity—the admission process for post BSc Nursing generally involves several steps that aspiring students must follow.
Many colleges and universities conduct entrance examinations to select candidates for their nursing programs—some popular entrance exams for post BSc Nursing in India include AIIMS Nursing Entrance Exam, JIPMER Nursing Entrance Exam, and AFMC Nursing Entrance Exam. These entrance exams assess the candidate’s aptitude in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English. The application forms for these exams are usually available online or offline, depending on the institution.
Usually, the students who have been selected are called for a counselling session, and this is generally done based on merit and available seats. The counselling process allows candidates to choose their preferred colleges based on their ranks and the availability of seats. Once the heart is allocated, candidates must submit their original documents for verification, including mark sheets, certificates, and other relevant documents. After the documentation procedure is done and the candidate has secured the seat, they must pay the fees the institution has set up. Usually, there are a lot of institutions which arrange for educational loans as well for better assistance of the students.
Post Basic Bsc Nursing Syllabus
When you start pursuing the course after any institution, you will better understand the syllabus. The syllabus also depends on which specialization you want to take up—the syllabus for post basic BSc Nursing is designed to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the medical field and equip them with the necessary skills to excel in their nursing careers. While the exact syllabus may vary slightly among different institutions, the core subjects covered in the program generally include:
- Anatomy and Physiology: This subject covers the study of the structure and functions of the human body, including the different systems and organs.
- Nutrition and Biochemistry: This subject explores the role of nutrition in maintaining health and the biochemical processes occurring in the human body.
- Microbiology and Pathology: This subject focuses on studying microorganisms, their role in causing diseases, and the principles of pathology.
- Pharmacology: This subject studies drugs, their effects on the human body, and their safe administration.
- Medical-Surgical Nursing: This subject covers the nursing care provided to patients undergoing surgical procedures and medical treatments.
- Child Health Nursing: This subject focuses on the nursing care of infants, children, and adolescents, including their growth and development.
Depending on your aptitude, you can choose the field of specialization which suits your needs the best.
After Post Basic Bsc Nursing Job Opportunities
And finally, after you have completed the degree, there are a lot of opportunities that are offered depending on your skills. Some of the job opportunities that you can expect after pursuing post basic Bsc nursing are:
This is one of the most common options for a workplace for a B.Sc. Nursing graduates. You will usually have the opportunity to work in different departments like medical-surgical units, intensive care units, emergency departments, and paediatric wards. In these settings, you’ll provide direct patient care, administer medications, assist in procedures, and collaborate with a team of dedicated healthcare professionals. For most, this is the ideal job scenario with high payments.
- Clinics and Nursing Homes
You can consider working in clinics or nursing homes if you prefer a more personal and nurturing environment. In clinics, you’ll assist doctors, provide vaccinations, perform minor procedures, and guide patients. Nursing homes offer the opportunity to care for the elderly, helping them with daily activities, managing medications, and ensuring their well-being.
- Community Health Centers
Community health centres focus on providing primary healthcare services to underserved populations. Working in such centres allows you to make a meaningful impact on the health of the community. You’ll engage in health promotion, disease prevention, and immunization campaigns and educate individuals and families about healthy living practices.
- Government Healthcare Facilities
Government hospitals, primary health centres, and district health offices provide a wide range of job opportunities for B.Sc. Nursing graduates. These facilities aim to deliver quality healthcare services to the public. As a nurse, you’ll be involved in patient care, health education, and public health campaigns and contribute to the community’s well-being.
- Research Institutions
If you are interested in research and want to contribute to advancing healthcare, research institutions, universities, and healthcare organizations offer exciting avenues. You can participate in research studies, clinical trials, and data analysis and contribute to evidence-based practices that shape the future of nursing care.
Pursuing a career as a nursing professional can go a long way if you can build the right skills and approach your job in the best way. Remember that practical experience is significant, and try to improve your nursing efficacy for better opportunities. Post Basic Bsc Nursing courses provide lots of practical experience also.
List of College Offering Post Basic Bsc Nursing Courses
2. Jeevanjyothi Nursing College, Andhra Pradesh
3. Mother Vannini College Of Nursing, Andhra Pradesh
4. Sree Narayana Nursing College, Andhra Pradesh
5. Asian Institute Of Nursing Education, Assam
6. C P M S College Of Nursing Bonda, Assam
7. Indira Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Bihar
8. College Of Nursing Dhamtari Christian Hospital, Chattisgarh
9. Holy Cross College Of Nursing, Chattisgarh
10. Sandipani Academy, Chattisgarh
11. Balaji College Of Nursing Gondal Virpur, Gujarat
12. M. Y. Patel College Of Nursing, Gujarat
13. Mahavir College Of Nursing, Gujarat
14. Shree Krishna Institute Of Nursing, Gujarat
15. Shri Anand Institute Of Nursing, Gujarat
16. Maharishi Markandeshwar College Of Nursing, Haryana
17. Vidyawati College Of Nursing, Haryana
18. Abhilashi College Of Nursing, Himachal Pradesh
19. Gautam College Of Nursing, Himachal Pradesh
20. Shivalik Institute Of Nursing, Himachal Pradesh
21. Shine-Abdur Razzaque Ansari Institute Of Health Education & Research Centre, Jharkhand
22. Adichunchanagiri College Of Nursing, Karnataka
23. Aditya College Of Nursing, Karnataka
24. Cauvery College Of Nursing, Karnataka
25. Columbia College Of Nursing, Karnataka
26. Dhanwantari Nursing College, Karnataka
27. Florence College Of Nursing, Karnataka
28. Fr Mullers College Of Nursing, Karnataka
29. Baby Memorial College Of Nursing, Kerala
30. C S I College Of Nursing, Kerala
31. Caritas College Of Nursing, Kerala
32. Holy Family College Of Nursing, Kerala
33. K I M S College Of Nursing, Kerala
34. Little Flower College Of Nursing, Kerala
35. Lourdes College Of Nursing, Kerala
36. M E S College Of Nursing, Kerala
37. Mar Sleeva College Of Nursing, Kerala
38. Dayal Nursing College, Madhya Pradesh
39. Index Nursing College, Madhya Pradesh
40. Indore Nursing College, Madhya Pradesh
41. Institute Of Nursing Science Studies & Research, Madhya Pradesh
42. Lord Krishna College Of Nursing, Madhya Pradesh
43. Sailana College Of Nursing, Madhya Pradesh
44. Dr Panjabrao Deshmukh Nursing Institute, Maharashtra
45. Dr.D.Y.Patil College Of Nursing, Maharashtra
46. Christian Institute Of Health Sciences & Research College Of nursing, Nagaland
47. Capital Academy Of Nursing, Orissa