The 44th Chess Olympiad 2022 will be played at the Four Points by Sheraton Mahabalipuram Resort and Convention Centre, located on the East Coast Road in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
The 44th Chess Olympiad 2022 is also know as Chennai Chess Olympiad is rganised by the Fédération Internationale des Échecs (FIDE). The Chennai Chess Olympiad was initially supposed to take place in Khanty-Mansiysk, along with the Chess World Cup 2019, but was moved to Moscow and scheduled for the period from 5 to 17 August 2020. The Chennai Chess Olympiad is the first Chess Olympiad to take place in India. You can watch the live streaming of the 44th Chess Olympiad on the YouTube channels of Chessbase India and FIDE.
Chess Olympiad 2022 Date
The chess Olympiad 2022 Date is from 28 July to 10 August 2022; It has been changed many times due to Covid and Russian – Ukrainian war. 44th Chess Olympiad was initially supposed to take place in Khanty-Mansiysk, along with the Chess World Cup 2019, but was moved to Moscow and scheduled for the period from 5 to 17 August 2020. However, it was postponed due to the growing concerns around the COVID-19 pandemic and finally relocated to Chennai following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
Chess Olympiad 2022 Teams
Chess Olympiad Teams are a combination of a few players from every country. Chess Olympiad Teams are decided on based on their ranking and points. The total number of participants is 1,736, with 937 in the Open and 799 in the Women’s event. The number of registered teams is 188 from 186 nations in the Open section and 162 from 160 countries in the Women’s division. Both units set team participation records. Here are the top 10 Chess Olympiad 2022 teams and player name
- USA (average rating 2771) – Fabiano Caruana (2783), Wesley So (2773), Levon Aronian (2775), Leinier Dominguez Perez (2754) and Sam Shankland (2720).
- India A (2696) – P. Harikrishna (2720), Vidit Gujrathi (2714), Arjun Erigaisi (2689), S. L. Narayanan (2659) and K. Sasikiran (2638).
- Norway (2692) – Magnus Carlsen (2864), Aryan Tari (2672), Jon Ludvig Hammer (2638), Johan-Sebastian Christiansen (2593) and Olsen Urkedal Forde Olav (2555).
- Spain (2687) – Francisco Vallejo Pons (2702), Alexie Shirov (2704),David Anton (2667), Jaime Santos Latasa (2675) and Eduardo Iturrizaga Bonelli (2611).
- Poland (2683) – Jan-Krzysztof Duda (2750), Radoslaw Wojtaszek (2708), Kacper Piorun (2636), Wojciech Moranda (2636) and Mateusz Bartel (2597).
- Azerbaijan (2680) – Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (2759), Rauf Memedov (2656), Gadir Guseinov (2668), Vasif Durarbayli (2638) and Nijat Abasov (2633).
- The Netherlands (2672) – Anish Giri (2760), Jorden van Foreest (2678), Erwin L’Ami (2634), Benjamin Bok (2616) and Max Warmerdam (2610).
- Ukraine (2666) – Anton Korobov (2692), Kirill Shevchenko (2654), Andrei Volokitin (2674), Volodymyr Onyshchuk (2612) and Yuriy Kuzubov (2642).
- Germany (2664) – Vincent Keymer (2686), Matthias Buebaum (2673), Rasmus Svane (2649), Liviu-Dieter Nisipeanu (2642) and Dimitrij Kollars (2648).
- England (2662) – Michael Adams (2696), Luke McShane (2649), David Howell (2650), Gawain Jones (2652) and Ravi Haria (2505)
Chess Olympiad 2022 Schedule and Timing
Here are Chess Olympiad 2022 Schedule and timetable for Chennai Chess Olympiad. This is the first time the chess olympiad has been happening in India. Here are all details about the Chess olympiad 2022 schedule timetable
29th July: Round 1 at 3 pm (IST)
30th July: Round 2 at 3 pm (IST)
31st July: Round 3 at 3 pm (IST)
1st August: Round 4 at 3 pm (IST)
2nd August: Round 5 at 3 pm (IST)
3rd August: Round 6 at 3 pm (IST)
4th August: Rest Day
5th August: Round 7 at 3 pm (IST)
6th August: Round 8 at 3 pm (IST)
7th August: Round 9 at 3 pm (IST)
8th August: Round 10 at 3 pm (IST)
9th August: Round 11 at 3 pm (IST)
Chess Olympiad 2022 Logo and Mascot
The official Chess Olympiad 2022 Logo, mascot and hashtag were unveiled by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M K Stalin, AICF President Dr Sanjay Kapoor and AICF Secretary and Olympiad Tournament Director Bharat Singh Chauhan in Chennai. The chess Olympiad logo is designed in India only for Chennai Chess Olympiad. The mascot is named ‘Thambi’ (transl. younger brother), a Chess Knight dressed in the traditional Tamil male attire veshti with a white shirt and is seen with folded hands, apparently extending the Tamil greeting ‘Vanakkam’
Chess Olympiad History
The first Olympiad was unofficial. For the 1924 Olympics, an attempt was made to include chess in the Olympic Games but this failed because of problems with distinguishing between amateur and professional players. FIDE organised the first Official Olympiad in 1927 which took place in London. Each FIDE-recognized chess association can enter a team into the Olympiad. Each team is made of up to five players, four regular players and one reserve.
Chess Olympiad Winner List
Chess Olympiad is conducted on every two years. FIDE organised the first Official Olympiad in 1927 which took place in London. The 1st Chess Olympiad winner was Hungary. In 2008, 38th Chess Olympiad winner was Armenia. In 2010, 39th Chess Olympiad winner was Ukraine. In 2012, 40th Chess Olympiad winner was Armenia. In 2020, Online Chess Olympiad was conducted first time and winner was India and Russia. In 2021, second Online Chess Olympiad was played and winner was Russia. Currently 44th Chess Olympiad is going on in Chennai, India.